Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Decision by Design?
Decision by design is a 12-week, interactive video-based training program that teaches practical behaviors, routines, and frameworks to business owners, executives, or ambitious beginners who want to improve their outcomes.
Whether you’re just starting out or already established, Decision by Design will challenge you to forget some of the things you know, embrace some new thinking, and execute at another level.
You can do it alone or with your team.
How Does Decision by Design Work?
Decision by Design training is released in twelve weekly modules with easy-to-follow videos, resources, and workbooks. All of the training is online inside a member only site.
Decision by Design includes interactive components like “office hours” where Shane answers your questions and offers advice. Once you sign up, you’re a Decision-by-Designer for life. You can retake the program for free as long as the program exists.
Is Decision by Design for Me?
If you want to learn the behaviors, routines, and frameworks that work in the real world, Decision by Design is for you. Our ideal members fall into one of these categories:
Ambitious Beginners: Are you just starting out? Want to learn how to make decisions but don’t know where to turn? Whether you’re on your first day, your first year, or just took on a leadership role, Decision by Design will help you learn what works.
Established Managers and Executives Looking for More: Are you wondering when you’ve done enough work? Do you feel paralyzed making decisions? Are you wondering what to communicate and when? If you’ve realized there are no perfect decisions and you’re ready to deepen your understanding of real world decision-making, Decision by Design will show you how.
Successful Executives Who Want to Rapidly Scale: Already leading a team but having trouble trusting others to make the right call? Ready to take things to the next level? Decision by Design will help you hit the accelerator.
Decision by Design gives you everything:
The behaviors, routines, strategies, and tactics that the masters of decision-making use in their personal and professional lives. Decision by Design will help you if:
- You’re deciding how to respond to changes in the market and your career
- You’re looking to move up in your company or advance your career and you want to think strategically about the problems your company is facing so you can get windfall results
- You’ve been stuck on personal decisions for a long time and you want a path and techniques to get out of your head and into action
- You’re dedicated to self-growth and you want repeatable techniques and skills you can use to improve decision-making for the rest of your life
- You want behaviors that reduce anxiety, eliminate second-guessing, and give you peace of mind
Who’s Not Right for This Program?
- If you’re looking for a quick fix, shortcuts, or a one-on-one decision coach, this program is not for you.
- Our program isn’t right for you if you’re looking to market your services to your fellow students.
- If you’re already a master decision-maker in your field and have the results to prove it, this isn’t for you.
- If you’re not open to changing your approach, this isn’t for you.
- Decision by Design isn’t right for you if you’re not willing to do the work, want a plug-and-play solution, or just want to “get better quickly.” This is a "get better slowly" program.
Can I Take This with My Team?
Decision by Design is a single-membership program. If you want to do it with your team, which we highly encourage, please register separately. Reach out to [email protected] for team discount options.
What’s Not Covered in the Program?
The program is not designed to:
- Tell you exactly what to do. We’ll give you the tools, but we don’t have the perfect solution (and you’ll find that there isn’t one). But we can help you focus on the things you can control so no matter what the situation, you’re in a great position to respond.
- Teach you decision-making science. We leave that to the academics. What this program is focused on is applicable skills used in the real world. If you’re looking for academic results or a checklist of 300 biases you might fall prey to, we can’t help. You can find that somewhere else. Instead, Decision by Design designs the behaviors, routines, and habits you bring to problems. Our approach helps you prevent biases without getting a master's degree.
- Be consumed and not implemented. If you’re looking to passively consume information, there are dozens of books we recommend on our website. This program is designed for you to actively walk through the decisions you’re making. Consuming it passively will not help you become a better decision-maker and will not help you arrive at different results.
Think of it this way: this program won’t help you pick which stock to buy, but it will help you get clear on your investment strategy.
If you’ve spent time reading biographies trying to reverse-engineer the thinking of the world’s leaders, or if you spend your Tuesday nights reading psychology books, but you just don’t know how to translate them into clarity when you face a real decision in your own life, you’re in the right spot.
Can I Expense It?
I’m not an accountant, but most organizations encourage their employees to continue their education, especially when it comes to decision-making. Here’s what you can say if anyone asks you to justify the expense:
- Decision by Design is an investment, but if I want to grow and get better, I can’t stay in the same place.
- If you think this is expensive, you should see the cost of poor decisions.
- Compared to an MBA, which won’t help me make better decisions, this is a bargain. MBAs can cost up to $100,000 or more. Plus, once I’m a Decision-by-Designer, I can take it again for free as long as it’s in existence.
- If you need a custom invoice, please send an email to [email protected] with detailed company information.
How Much Time Do I Need to Commit?
If you plan to work through the program in real time, we recommend between two and three hours per week to watch the training, complete the assignments, and practice the skills in life and work.
If you’re not able to find the time, don’t sweat it. We know many of you have full-time jobs and busy family lives. A lot of students want to pause at various points and resume in the future as their schedule allows. Because you have lifetime access for as long as it exists, you’ll never have to choose the course over your life. You can be there for your family, friends, or work—and you’ll be happier and more fulfilled because you are.
This program is action-oriented and based on what works in reality. There are no fast or even guaranteed results. Making better decisions is more than just taking a twelve-week online course. While it’s full of timeless behaviors and routines, it’s something you’ll work on getting better at for the rest of your life.
How Is This Different from the Free Content on FS.blog or the Web?
If you've ever found yourself with a tough decision at hand consuming free blogs, trying pro and con lists, and reading articles on Psychology Today—and yet you still didn’t have clarity—you’ve experienced firsthand what free material can help you do.
Free materials provide a piece of the puzzle. What we've created in this program is a way to train your decision-making skills so you can put the puzzle together.
While we normally avoid prescriptive suggestions on our blog, this course is different. Each lesson gives you specific questions to answer and techniques to practice so you can learn these skills for yourself.
But you don't have to take my word for it. Thousands of people have relied on Farnam Street to help them live, think, and decide better. We’ve helped everyone from entrepreneurs to elite special forces commanders and executives from the NBA, NFL, and NHL. These are real people who have had better outcomes as a result of working with us.
Will Shane Answer My Questions in the Office Hours Sessions?
Office hours sessions will be recorded and shared. Questions answered will depend on the number and type of questions submitted in advance. The better the question (meaning the more you seek to learn how to decide instead of what to decide), the more likely your question will be answered. If you can’t make it, no problem. Office hours will be recorded so you can replay them at your convenience. This isn’t intended to be a one-on-one coaching program.
When Does it Start?
Decision by Design opens Monday, February 28, 2022, and closes Friday, March 4, 2022, at 9PM (EST). You'll get access to the first skill as soon as you sign up. Don't worry if you can't start right away—you can go at your own pace, and you'll have access to the material for as long as the course is around.
What If I Don’t Like the Program?
No problem. We back our program with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Here is how it works: Participate for up to two weeks. If you no longer feel Decision by Design is right for you, send us an email ([email protected]) within 14 days from your date of purchase and we’ll give you a full refund. We’ll ask why it didn’t work for you so we can get better, but you’ll get a complete refund. Simple as that!
I Still Have Questions—How Can I Contact You?
No problem. Send me an email at [email protected].